Well, the month is off to a great start! I am really taking the time to think about what I feel I am supposed to do vs. what I feel like I want to do. I’m not going to lie – there are A LOT of ‘supposed to’s’ in my life. I know this month is not about only doing whatever I want, but boy oh boy, it sure is hard to change gears even half of the time. I think the tricky part is that I do a lot of things that I want to do – I work part-time, I host friend and family to my home for meals, I partake in gatherings and other events, I put my children in extra-curricular activities – but each of these things come with a host of “jobs” that I feel I should or must do in order for the choice part to be a success.
For example, I love entertaining. It’s fun to have people here and to wine and dine them, so to speak. But with that fun comes cleaning the house, preparing the food, running around to purchase the necessary items etc., etc. And all this while attempting to entertain my two children who also deserve a fun weekend. But, what’s a girl to do? I can’t seem to figure out a way to have one without the other…
So, I supposed my month is simply starting with awareness.
So far I have been attempting to do some things just because I want to…
- I went for coffee with friends when I “should have” been grocery shopping.
- I bought some gorgeous accent chairs for my new office when I “could have” saved my money.
- I went to bed uber early even though I knew I “ought to” finish the chores.
- I had a pumpkin latte when I “should have” had a sugar free coffee.
- I made plans with friends even though I “could have” prioritized my family time.
- I enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on a weeknight (gasp!) when I really “ought to” keep my drinking to the weekends.
Some of these choices are feeling pretty good. But, honestly… some of them aren’t. It’s going to be an interesting month…
Right now, I know I “should” be writing a longer, perhaps more interesting/reflective/introspective post, but… I’m going to wrap it up right here! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!